Remember my huge Korean haul on ShopandBox (full post here)? In my haul, I picked out several lip products that were made surprisingly similar to their U.S. counterparts. What better way to compare which is more desirable than to write a review for it? 😉
I’ve put 3 different types of lip products to the test, namely 2 types of tinted lip balms and a lip stain. I’m going to be comparing:
- Benefit Cha Cha Balm & Peri Pera Milk Balm in Peach
- Dior Lip Glow Color Reviver Balm & IOPE Water Fit Tint Lip Balm
- YSL Vernis À Lèvres Glossy Stain (#14) & Espoir Waterstain Lip Glow (Bite Me)
I’ve had the Dior Lip Glow Color Reviver Balm for a while now and it has been my favourite for almost a year! I’m having mixed feelings on it finishing but a back up has been bought just in case it runs out. Loving the Lip Glow so much, I had to try the korean version – IOPE Water Fit Tint Lip Balm. The lip balms are both pink-tinted as you can see from the bullets and they react with the chemistry of your lips to give you a special shade of pink.
Also, being lip balms, both have nourishing ingredients to soothe and hydrate your lips:
- Dior Lip Glow: Mango Butter (ultra nourishing to soothe the lips), Loofah Extract (moisturises and heals)
- IOPE Water Fit Tint Lip Balm: Rosehip Oil, Orange Oil and Lavender Oil (prevent lip moisture evaporation for long-lasting moist lips)
The differences between them?
- Dior Lip Glow has a sweet, fluffy marshmallow-like scent.
- IOPE Water Fit Tint Lip Balm has a sweet orchid floral fragrance.
I honestly prefer Lip Glow’s scent. After all, you’re putting on your lips and it makes it more yummy to be “eaten”.
- Dior Lip Glow has a balmy, waxy but not oily texture.
- IOPE Water Fit Tint Lip Balm has a waxy-oily kind of texture, similar to most lip balms.
Lip Glow’s texture is a win for me too because I prefer something that is not as oily. If you prefer the usual lip balms’ textures, then you’re sure to like the IOPE one.
- Dior Lip Glow is priced at US$33.
- IOPE Water Fit Tint Lip Balm is priced at ~US$25 after ShopandBox fees etc.
Get the Dior Lip Glow!
Even though it’s slightly more pricey, it’s that one lip balm you need for everyday makeup, even on days when you just need to get out of the house with minimal makeup.
The uncanny resemblance of the Benefit Balms and the Peri Pera Milk/Water Balms disturbs me the most. How can you even produce something with a packaging that’s so alike to your competitor? I’m pretty sure many have been confused when I posted the Peri Pera Milk Balm because of the metallic packaging with the printed patterns and even the exact placement of the logo. It’s just unbelievably similar. The only difference in packaging is probably the boxes that contain the products.
Both feel equally balmy-oily, just like regular lip balms in terms of texture. The nourishing ingredients that serve to hydrate your lips include:
- Cha Cha Balm: Mango Butter, Sodium Hyaluronate (super-sized hydrating properties)
- Peri’s Milk Balm (Peach): Mango Seed Butter, Shea Butter, Sunflower Seed Oil and Avocado Oil
Peri’s Milk Balm (Peach) is a pigmented warm orange-tinted lip balm whereas Cha Cha Balm is a lot less pigmented. You can see almost no colour, just a slight orange tint after multiple swipes on the hand.
- Cha Cha Balm has a light floral scent.
- Peri’s Milk Balm (Peach) has close to no fragrance but I thought I tried my best to detect a sweet passion fruit scent.
- Cha Cha Balm has a slanted bullet top for easy product application.
- Peri’s Milk Balm (Peach) has a flat concave bullet top (?!).
Looking at the Milk Balm, I’m really puzzled as to why is there a concave top on the bullet. It makes application very uneven and I even have to use my finger to smoothen the product on my lips. Cha Cha Balm’s slanted bullet top is definitely more user-friendly.
- Cha Cha Balm is priced at US$18.
- Peri’s Milk Balm (Peach) is priced at ~US$10 after ShopandBox fees etc., inclusive of a 1 for 1 promotion
The Peri Pera Milk/Water Balms are more value-for-money!
Just go for the cheaper one, unless you really want something that has a lighter tint. However, do note that if you are in Singapore, the Cha Cha Balm is more accessible.
Another lip product I got from my ShopandBox haul is the Espoir Lip Stain Water Glow (pardon the name) as I wanted to compare it against the YSL Vernis À Lèvres Glossy Stain. Both products are lip stains or you could use them as lip tints as well. They are meant to be lip products that combine the texture and shine of a gloss with the long wear of a stain.
- YSL Vernis À Lèvres has a tropical mango scent.
- Espoir Lip Stain Water Glow has a floral fragrance.
I’m not a fan of either of the scents but both are generally acceptable.
- YSL Vernis À Lèvres has an odd-shaped applicator which is more pointed, and it has a greater surface area for fast application.
- Espoir Lip Stain Water Glow has a tear-drop shaped applicator typical of usual ones.
I find both equally easy to apply so there isn’t much of a difference in terms of the effectiveness of the applicators.
- YSL Vernis À Lèvres has a sticky, gloss-like texture and highly pigmented.
- Espoir Lip Stain Water Glow has a lighter, watery texture and is less pigmented.
Depending on your preference, you may like either product. For me, I don’t fancy stickiness in my lip products, hence I appreciate the watery texture of the Espoir Lip Stain Water Glow.
- YSL Vernis À Lèvres lasts a lot longer and lasted me through drinking and a meal.
- Espoir Lip Stain Water Glow does not last as long and you need to reapply after a meal.
- YSL Vernis À Lèvres is priced at US$36.
- Espoir Lip Stain Water Glow is priced at US$20 after ShopandBox fees etc.
The Espoir Lip Stain Water Glow is my choice!
I prefer the texture of the Espoir one just because I don’t really like the stickiness from the YSL one. It’s also more affordable although it has a limited shade range.
So it seems that some of the korean products actually work better than their U.S. counterparts! Depending on your personal preference, you may or may not agree with me. However, I feel that for the price of the korean products, you can honestly bag home quality products.
Create yourself and be gorgeous! ♡