China’s most esteemed haute couturier, Guo Pei, brings her legendary elegance to a colour collection inspired by her “garden of the soul”, merging vibrant jewel tones with rich neutrals, punctuated by deep graphite.
Featured are eyeshadow quads in deep blues and honeyed neutrals; lipsticks and cremesheen lip glasses in creamy pinks and corals to bright reds and luscious nudes. Make your eyes look even more exquisite with three stunning shades of fluidlines, while the beauty powder provides the final touch. Not to forget two makeup brushes – an eyeshadow and a blush brush – all in the signature floral design. I mean, how gorgeous are the floral drawings?!
When the collection was launched on the MAC website, I didn’t exactly go straight to purchasing it. All you MAC lovers, you can guess why. The prices of the products in this collection are insanely high, almost double of what you would normally get, especially in Singapore. The eyeshadow palettes as well as blushers were priced at more than S$120! How unbelievable?! For the price, you would expect top notch quality but upon swatch, they didn’t impress me, sadly.
Nevertheless I’m still going to talk about the collection based on my encounter with the products over at the Tangs Orchard MAC counter. Let’s start with my favourite category – the eyes – shall we?
There are two eyeshadow palettes:
- Morning Light Eyeshadow Quad (S$126) – warm neutrals
- Night Sky Eyeshadow Quad (S$126) – cool blues
They each consists of four eyeshadow shades, some in the permanent line, some new. Upon swatch, the Morning Light Quad was pretty pigmented, and buttery smooth, especially the satins and metallics. However, I was truly disappointed at Nehru in the Night Sky Quad. It was so dry and hard to swatch!
There are three fluid lines (gel eyeliners) launched together with the collection as well. Packaged in the usual glass jars but with matte gold caps and the MAC x Guo Pei lettering, the eyeliners are very pigmented and lasted me the entire day without flaking off! The three shades include:
- Blue Mountain [Crème] (S$34) – dark green blue
- Darkness of Calm [Frost] (S$34) – dark espresso
- Palm Tree [Frost] (S$34) – charcoal with pearl
For the face, there are two blush shades. I was initially aiming for the blush but literally froze when I saw the hefty price tag of S$123! Yes, the packaging is beyond beautiful with the matte gold metal details but, come on, a hundred for a MAC blush?! I actually got it from the MAC website. Seriously, much more pocket-friendly. Oh and they are much smaller in person than in photos so don’t be surprised like I was, haha.
The blush shades are:
- Lotus Blossom [Matte] (S$123) – light blue pink
- Red Water Lily [Satin] (S$123) – light coral pink
How can any MAC collection be launched without any lipsticks? The MAC x Guo Pei collection comes with three cremesheen lip glasses as well as lipsticks. I told myself ever since I bought my first ever Limited Edition MAC lipstick that I will only pick one shade from each LE collection just to collect the packaging and yes, I was good, I picked only Ethereal Orchid from this one, partially because of the price.
The Cremesheen Lip Glasses:
- Pale Moon (S$60) – midtone pink nude with pearl
- Bright Pink Bouquet (S$60) – nude coral with pearl (why is it called Bright Pink Bouquet anyway??)
- Love of Roses (S$60) – true red with pearl
- Zenith [Lustre] (S$60) – light nude
- Ethereal Orchid [Cremesheen] (S$60) – mid tone dirty coral
- Brave Red [Cremesheen] (S$60) – bright yellow red
The collection also comes with a large pressed face powder and two makeup brushes:
- Soft Moonlight Beauty Powder (S$132) – transluscent powder with small sized fine pearls
- 213 Fluff Brush (S$55) – a brush for the application of eye shadow to the lid area.
- 129 Powder/Blush Brush (S$83) – an all-purpose brush for blush or face powder.
MAC x Guo Pei Collection is launched exclusively at Tangs Orchard from 1st October onwards.
As of 4th October when I visited the counter, the Zenith and Ethereal Orchid lipsticks together with the 2 makeup brushes are sold out! However, the beauty advisor was telling me that MAC only requisites 70% of the stocks when they first launch so, those who are aiming for the OOS items, be patient as they bring in more stocks in a couple of weeks!
So, how do you feel about this collection? Share with me in the comments!
Create yourself and be gorgeous! ♡
Disclaimer: The above review is based on my true and honest opinion without influence from others. It also contains information from the brand. I am not compensated by/affiliated with the brand.